You may have decided that you want custom cabinets built for your home, but how do you recognize quality workmanship in a prospective cabinet builder? If possible, go to the company showroom or construction facility to touch and feel the cabinets. While there are many factors to consider when hiring a cabinet builder to make custom cabinets for your home, here are a few things to start you off in the right direction.
- Smooth Exterior. The surface of the cabinet should be smooth. If there are rough spots or splinters, that is a red flag.
- Quality Hardware. Inspect the hinges and door pulls. Do they look durable and are the hinges adjustable? Find out who the manufacturer is and see if they have a lifetime guarantee. Doors get a lot of daily use and will more than likely be the first part to fail. Soft-close hardware is a feature that will help prevent your drawers from cracking over time due to slamming.
- Quality Wood Construction. While MDF (medium-density fiberboard) and plywood are of acceptable quality, wood veneer plywood or solid wood construction is the most durable material. Interior shelving should be made of 3/4 inch plywood or MDF to prevent sagging under heavy weight.
- Evenly Applied Paint or Stain. Check to see that the application of paint or stain is even over all surfaces. Cloudy finish or paint/stain drips or paint/stain on the hardware are all signs of poor workmanship.
- Dovetail Joint Construction. A quality constructed cabinet will have dovetail joints on all four corners. Take out the drawer and turn it over. If it is well built, the sides will be solid wood and the bottom plywood. Pins or staples are a sign that the construction is lacking.
- Warranty. Does the manufacturer offer an industry standard warranty and is the company stable and likely to still be in business years down the road when replacement parts or repairs become necessary? Check for online reviews and recommendations from friends or neighbors to be sure you have chosen a quality cabinet builder.
Although the initial investment for hiring a custom cabinet builder will be higher, the additional years of use and superior functionality will be well worth it. If you think custom cabinets could be a wonderful addition to your home, our group of professional designers has the passion and creativity to help make your dream a reality. Please give us a call at The Cabinet Guys today!